Saturday, August 22, 2020

How To Pray

How many times have you prayed for someone where part of the prayer was for your desired outcome? Lord, I pray for your protection on Floyd but inspire him to go to Mass instead of golfing on Sunday morning. Jesus, please have mercy on Ethel, help her to see her drinking is killing her, amen.  Dear God, please make it possible for Elmer to forgive his sister Beulah before it’s too late.  

These are all good intentions. Piety, sobriety, forgiveness – we should all be striving towards that, right? And prayer is good – I’m talking to God! We are supposed to pray every day so if I pray this prayer 9 days in a row, while wearing the Miraculous medal, and lighting a candle every day then God will have to answer my prayer, right? Yes, indeed God will answer your prayer. He will say yes, no, or not now.  

So, you’re frustrated because your intentions are pure. You’ve read the bible where God says ask, knock, I will give it to you. Yet Floyd just booked a tee time; Ethel has been through detox 3 times and still isn’t dry, and Elmer is now screening his telephone calls. *sigh*

I will share something important about praying for others. We cannot control another’s free choices through prayer. The best prayer is simply to ask God to remove obstacles to belief and to restore your loved one’s freedom to respond to God’s grace. That’s it.

I am sure someone was saying that prayer for me. My pride, brokenness, and foolishness kept me holding onto things that weren’t right. Eventually, grace uncovered my sins and converted my heart and I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment