Tuesday, February 23, 2021

One Hundred Days


One hundred days ago I began praying the rosary as part of a preparation to renew my consecration to Mary. The prep lasted 46 days. I didn’t think I’d make it past the first 2 weeks, but obviously I did. Right after the renewal my prayer group rolled into a preparation to consecrate ourselves to St. Joseph. Praying the rosary was not a prescribed part of that program but I thought it would be a good idea regardless. So, I prayed it another 33 days. After that consecration I figured what’s another 21 days to get to 100? And so here I am.

Many proponents of the rosary say your life will change if you pray it every day. I am usually cautious when it comes to claims like this. Does it mean I will be holier? Does it mean my charisms will be stronger? Will it help me to have more trust, less fear, spiritual equilibrium? And will it last? Will all the effort I put into setting aside 20 minutes a day bear fruit? I don’t think we can, or should, quantify our spiritual lives that way. But I will say that I was having a problem with intrusive thoughts and flashbacks when I started praying the rosary daily and these events have become less frequent and less bothersome lately.

As I write this we are in Lent. Will I make it to 150 days? That is certainly the plan. And while graces and insights seem more accessible during this time of the liturgical year that’s not the only reason to keep up the prayers. To meditate on the life of Our Lord, to ponder the virtues and fruits of the mysteries, to lift our hearts to eternal truths, to deposit that into the divine economy, has to be good for everyone, not just me. It’s cooperation in salvation. And isn’t that the point of Lent and ultimately of Easter?

No comments:

Post a Comment