Monday, March 14, 2022

Discovering Night Prayer

My friend asked me how me Lent is going. I shrugged, not out of indifference but maybe more from resignation. It's not really going to plan. To be honest I don't really have a plan. I have a book of Lenten Gospel reflections and I can attend different events and devotions at church throughout the week if I feel led to do that, but so far I haven't gone to anything. 

In a sense Lent began early because I had to fly across the country to look after my grandchildren for 2 weeks as there was a family medical situation. Not that caring for my family is a penance but it was certainly a change of pace from my usual life. A few days after I returned home it was Ash Wednesday but by that time I was off sick from work and going to Mass was out of the question. That was disappointing but I let it go. 

Something did happen a few nights ago that sparked my interest. I discovered Night Prayer. There is an app that is free during Lent so I downloaded it. There are prayers, readings, devotions, talks and music. I've sampled all of them and I really enjoy hearing Jonathan Roumie, who plays Jesus in The Chosen, read the Gospels in character. He also leads Night Prayer. 

I was not unaware of Night Prayer, which is part of the Liturgy of the Hours, but in the past I have found it boring, for lack of a better word. I've only heard it prayed late in the evening on Holy Thursday by a few tired Eucharistic Adorers and an exhausted priest, so not the best presentation. But now I find myself looking forward to bedtime when normally I dread it. I have also slept well since I started praying it. Usually I am up several times a night and often can't get back to sleep for hours so I can't argue with added benefits like restful sleep. 

I don't know if I will ever have the discipline to pray the entire Liturgy of the Hours but I think Night Prayer is here to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment