Friday, March 4, 2022

Thy Daily Word

When I was about 10 years old my parents each received a New Testament when they became Canadian citizens. I am quite sure bibles are not handed out anymore during these ceremonies but I am thankful that in the pre-digital age I had access to the Scriptures. I was the only one in the house that read that bible and I usually stopped reading it by the sixth chapter of Matthew's Gospel. I didn't understand that the bible is not a chapter book or a novel. 

When I came back to the Church I still didn't read the bible much because I found it hard to understand. I much preferred apologetics. Then I discovered commentaries and study guides and that helped a bit. But it wasn't until I made a healing retreat in 2014 and was baptized in the Holy Spirit that my love of scripture came alive. All of a sudden I had a real desire to read the bible and I began to understand it in a different way. This wasn't a history book anymore but a living document, full of people who weren't much different than I was. I also learned that the answers to the current issues we face today are also in the Scriptures.

To enhance my daily bible reading I employ the following method. Perhaps it will work for you too. 

  • Make an appointment with God every day, at the same time if possible. If your space is quiet that is a bonus. Put your phone away - use an actual bible, not an app.
  • Ask the Holy Spirit to come to you. 
  • Read the daily readings. Which word or phrase sticks out for me? Sit with that word for 5 minutes and ask God to tell me about it. Journal to ask the question and listen for God's answer. 

At first this might seem awkward but daily practice will help. Also, going to confession to "clear the clogs" always helps everything.  It's also tempting to read a commentary or meditation on the readings but the point is to ask God what He wants to tell you. Sometimes I will look up a word when I am unsure of the meaning but that is not the same as reading someone else's take on it. 

Remember that this is not a reading exercise, there is no right or wrong way to do this, the results are not going to be judged or measured. This is your time to read God's love letter to you and to listen to His answer. 

Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment