Monday, August 3, 2020

Meeting Mary

August is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary so I hope to post several more reflections over the coming weeks about the Blessed Mother.

It’s December and I am six years old and in Grade One. We are drawing Christmas themed pictures with pastels. After our art class we will practice for the school concert where we will sing about wise men, a travelling star, and a baby being born in a manger. I select a sky-blue pastel to draw the veil on the mother of the baby in the stable. To this day I cannot remember why I chose this particular colour as a small child would not know that blue has been associated with the Virgin Mary for hundreds of years. And so, my relationship with the Blessed Mother is born in a public school of all places.

I think a lot of people have this sort of arms length relationship with Mary. She’s trotted out at Christmas, part of the Nativity scene placed on the mantel, or as a character in a church basement play, perhaps appearing on a Christmas card although these are getting harder to find.

Thirty-two years later I find myself sneaking into the back of a church that is built in the round. Do you know how hard it is to sneak into a round building?

This is my first Sunday back at Mass after a five year absence. It’s the first Sunday of Advent and I’m probably not the only one feeling a pull to return, however briefly. But this time something is different and I keep coming back Sunday after Sunday.

I find the church heavy on men, not necessarily in the pews but in the hierarchy. I’m not sure how to reconcile my discomfort but I don’t want to leave. So, I find myself turning to Mary. She’s gentle, quiet, a reassuring maternal presence. She radiates peace and calm. She teaches me about her Son through the mysteries of the rosary and she prays for me. When I read about her in the bible she is always pondering, considering, giving practical and sensible advice, and praising God. I begin to worry a little that I might love her too much.

Then one day I realize that I haven’t thought about her for some time. Instead I am thinking about Jesus and loving him more and more each day. And then I smile because that was her mission all along – to lead me to her Son.


No comments:

Post a Comment