Monday, August 24, 2020

The Little Lunchtime Miracle

 When I wrote about the lady who wanted to alter her clothes it brought back memories of another person who crossed my path that needed help in a small way.

I was at work one day sitting at the reception desk. I was enjoying a quiet moment as both my supervisor and my boss were away at lunch. The conference room across from my station was being used for a meeting but the door was closed.

A few minutes later a man who had been in the conference room came to my desk. I asked if I could help him assuming he needed more coffee but he said he needed a private room to say his midday prayers. I immediately went into a state of hypervigilance. Not because he was Muslim but because he was a man of faith and my coworkers were decidedly not.

Quickly I raced through the possibilities of where I could put him. Not my supervisor’s office – she was a very unsympathetic person and I could hear her shrill reaction if she caught him in there. None of the offices upstairs would work as they all had large windows. I decided to put the man in my boss’s office. If the boss walked in during the prayer time, he might be insensitive to the situation but not hostile.  I then prayed with all my might that nobody would disturb the man.

Amazingly, both my boss and supervisor returned from lunch much later than usual that day, long after the man had completed his devotions and returned to the conference room. This was such a departure from their normal routine I could scarcely believe it.

I love these little moments that God gifts us. They are an opportunity for us to help others and also to build our faith and to learn how to trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment