Monday, December 21, 2020

Who Are You?

I was watching a hysterical video yesterday of a children’s Christmas program. There was a choir of kids singing and also a group of preschoolers who were recreating the manger scene of the first Christmas. All was going well until one of the “sheep” decided she wanted to take “Baby Jesus” (a doll) out of the manger to play with him. Well, “Mother Mary” was having none of that. Hilarity ensued and I think she finally retrieved her baby by putting the sheep in what looked to be a head lock!

But it got me thinking, who am I in the Nativity scene?

Am I the beast of burden, bringing Christ to his birth place in people’s hearts? Am I a king, bearing gifts for him? Or am I the innkeeper who has no room for him? What about the smelly sheep? An angelic messenger announcing his arrival? A simple shepherd, who despite my lack of knowledge, still shares good news with others about Jesus? Am I silent Joseph, quietly trusting that God will bring great good out of a situation that I don’t understand? Or obedient Mary, letting his will be done in me and being permeated by the Holy Spirit. Or maybe I am even the star, guiding others to the perfect Light.

Who are you in in that wondrous stable?

No comments:

Post a Comment