Monday, March 7, 2022

Love Thy Neighbour

The daily readings were powerful today. I mean, they are always powerful, but with everything going on in Ukraine they seemed especially relevant. The cycle of readings was chosen long before current events so it is always interesting to see how the lectionary unfolds in relation to that. 

We are not supposed to add to or subtract from the Scriptures, but Psalm 19 had me thinking on the words law, decree, precepts, command, fear and ordinances. (This is the wording in WAU magazine this month which is the American version, your mileage may vary.) I thought, what if we exchanged the word "love" for law, decree, etc. The Lord's system of regulations always come from His affection and attachment to us so I don't think it goes against the essence of what was written.

After I finished the readings I looked over Bp. Barron's Lenten Gospel Reflections (thanks, Lynn!) Bp. Barron says a writer was once speaking with Mother Teresa about the source of her spirituality and mission. She asked him to place his hand on the table. She reached out and as she touched each finger she said, "you did it to me." 

Love your neighbour, friends. Even if they are horrible people, maybe especially if they are. Love conquered sin, Jesus promised good will prevail over evil. When you watch the news pray not only for the refugees, the ones left to fight, the innocent victims, but also for their oppressors. I pray that one day you will be in heaven and they, all of them, will be thanking you for doing that. 





No comments:

Post a Comment