Monday, December 14, 2020

Do You Struggle With the Rosary?

As I write this post, I have just completed praying the rosary 30 days in a row. I can scarcely believe it. I’ve been on retreats and pilgrimages where we prayed the rosary every day but I think I clocked in at 14 days at most and not by my own volition. The minute the event was over, the beads went back in their pouch, forgotten until the next crisis or spurt of holiness.

Truthfully, I find the rosary a struggle at times. The repetition of the prayers can make me fall asleep, daydream, or start to mindlessly skip chunks of the prayers. Sometimes all of the above. Yet the repetition is what soothes me when I am in a panic, or feeling sad, confused or angry. It gives me words when I have none. Ultimately, the combination of the rhythm, the words, and leaning into God, untangles my brain and relaxes me, a state of life that usually eludes me. Hmm...so I guess the rosary really isn't a struggle at all, at least not how I thought it was.

In 16 days, my preparation to renew my consecration to Mary will be over. Will I continue to pray the rosary every day? I’ve heard it said that it takes 21 days to form a habit. By the end of December, I will have doubled that and more. If I don’t pray it every day then I hope I will at least I pray it more often. I think I’ve conquered two hurdles this past month though. I’ve learned that it is possible to pray it every day and that I don’t have to be afraid I’m going to fail. The only bad rosary is the one I didn’t pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment