Monday, January 4, 2021

Contemplate His Wounds

I’ll be honest – sometimes I prefer praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet over the Rosary. Why? Because I think it takes all of 7 minutes if you don’t add the closing prayer (Eternal God in whom mercy is endless…) and the prayer for Divine Mercy (Diary of St. Faustina 1570). I do add those prayers though, especially the latter, because it’s so beautiful. I love the imagery of the merciful Heart of Jesus being like an open gate.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that there are no specific meditations for the chaplet like there are for the rosary. Is it because it’s so short? Is it because it is less well known? I did come across a pamphlet a number of years ago with reflections on the Lord’s Passion, which I have found helpful. It has us consider not only the painful physical aspect of crucifixion, but the meaning that the particular wounds convey.

When I consider the lacerations in his head from the crown of thorns, my conscience is pricked regarding my thought life and how critical and judgmental I can be. 

His pierced right hand helps me reflect on how I’ve struck out in anger, not physically, but mentally. 

The deep wound in Jesus’ left hand reminds me of how insensitive or indifferent I can be, and how someone may now have to work to forgive me for my dismissal of them. 

While meditating on the holes in his feet I repent not only for all the years I walked (ran!) away from him, but how I can still recoil when he asks me to do something for him. 

And finally, I gaze on the bloody tear in his side, from where the spear went clear into his heart, baptizing me in a cascade of his Blood and Water, his love and mercy.

That's a lot to ponder in 7 minutes. I can see I'm going to need to take more time with this prayer. I'm also going to pray about how I can meditate on the wounds of Jesus crucified to help the dying, especially those who are unprepared spiritually, to make peace with God and their neighbour.


No comments:

Post a Comment