Sunday, August 30, 2020

Come, Holy Spirit!

My little prayer group met on Saturday. We have been participating in the Life in the Spirit seminars, following a 7 week prayer guide and also a series of videos from Renewal Ministries that are easily found online. After several weeks of preparation, it was time to pray for the release of the gifts of the Holy Spirit with some of our members.  

We began by praying the Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary and then talked for a short time about the sensations or emotions they might experience while being prayed over. Some people might feel warm or energized, some people will feel nothing. There is no right way or wrong way to feel.  Everyone was encouraged to be open to whatever the Lord had in store for their particular situation. We then blessed ourselves with holy water, renewed our baptismal promises, and prayed a prayer of commitment. Two of the women in our group are experienced in prayer ministry so they led us in praise and worship, singing, and intercession. It was beautiful, powerful, and yet also gentle.

I found it interesting that when we were singing, we harmonized rather well. Three of the five of us aren’t really gifted in that area but I found it pleasant to listen to and didn’t feel as self-conscious as I normally do when I sing under my breath. I give all credit to the Spirit who was inspiring us!

In the months ahead I look forward to encouraging my friends to open their new gifts from the Holy Spirit, and seeing where the Lord leads them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment